Active in our community…
The Purbeck Arts Choir welcomes the opportunity to join in and promote local events whenever possible.
• Joined Swanage Town Band for a lively Christmas concert
• Led the community sing-a-long for the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations in Swanage
• Sung at Kingston Christmas Tree Festival, Swanage Christmas street market and joined local schoolchildren to sing carols at other venues around Swanage
• Hosted “Come & Sing” events
• Held a joint concert with a visiting Norwegian Choir
• Sung in the Heroes Haven Proms at the Mowlem in October 2015
• Sung in “Purbeck Pur-4-Mance” as part of the Purbeck Literary Festival at the Methodist Church, Swanage in February 2016
As a choir we are always delighted to be joined by younger singers and musicians at our concerts. We had three young soloists at our Vivaldi Gloria concert in March 2015 and whenever possible we welcome local young musicians to join the orchestra for our concerts.
The Purbeck Arts Choir, Briantspuddle Singers and Wareham Choral are the three core choirs of the Dorset Guild of Singers. Every two years the Guild perform a major choral work, usually in the Lighthouse, Poole when the core choirs are joined by other Dorset choirs and an orchestra. On alternate years workshops and singing days are held which are also open to non-Guild members.
All Dorset Guild events are free to members of the Purbeck Arts Choir as membership is included in our annual subs.
In 2015, the well-known gospel and community conductor Ken Burton held an inspirational and an exciting singing day in Dorchester.
In 2014, 280 singers took part in “Elijah”, conducted by Simon Lole and accompanied by the Dorset County Orchestra.
The Purbeck Arts Choir has established close links with the annual Purbeck Art Weeks event and we were particularly thrilled to be captured in watercolour at a recent rehearsal by local artist Sarah Bibra.
Through our involvement with PAW we have sung in the grounds of Corfe Castle, taken part in a special evensong at St. Mary’s and helped to co-ordinate a community choir event “Zimbe!” rehearsed by Jay Buckle and Simon Lole where local singers of all ages and abilities came together to perform this exciting work by Alexandre L’Estrange.
The Purbeck Arts Choir are delighted to be hosting this 2017 PAW Community choir event involving local singers of all ages.